Wacouta Town Board Meeting
March 4, 2013
March 4 Meeting Minutes(Word Doc.)
March 4, 2013 Meeting
Present: Sue Betcher, Mickey Payne and Barbara Charlson
Others: Anita Gadient, Tracey Gadient, Lisaa Hanni (Goodhue Co.), Jerry Jablonski,
John Litzenburgerer (Goodhue Co.) and Tom Wolner
Sue called the March 4, 2013 meeting to order at 7:00 PM with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to approve the Agenda with the addition of the Falk summons. The motion carried.
There were no Declarations of Conflicts.
Motion was made by Mickey and seconded by Sue to approve the Feb 11, 2013 minutes with one correction ? Planning Commission will discuss the Wacouta floodplains ordinance with the Town Board at a future time. The motion carried.
Land Use Management ? Lisa Hanni
- Public meeting on April 18 at 6:30 PM in the Zumbrota VFW
- Web links to her handouts are:
- Mining Study ? Wacouta Township: http://www.co.goodhue.mn.us/countygovernment/committees/MiningCommittee/Maps/TownshipMaps/Wac_Twp.pdf
- Goodhue County Mining Study Committee ? Summary Report July 2012 (119 pages): http://www.co.goodhue.mn.us/countygovernment/committees/MiningCommittee/Studies/MSCReport.pdf
- Zoning Ordinance Article 14: Mineral Extraction: http://www.co.goodhue.mn.us/countygovernment/committees/MiningCommittee/Studies/Article14_Aug162012.pdf
- Registered Mining Sites ? Goodhue County: http://www.co.goodhue.mn.us/departments/landuse/zoning/files/2011RegisteredMiningSitesMap.pdf
- Wacouta has one (1) existing peat mine and very little silica mining available
- Old cement plant and Monson Trucking are potential industrial sitesthat could be used to store and transport sand
- Township ordinances can be stricter but less strict than the county?s as far as air quality, noise ordinance, traffic allowed, etc.
- Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to ask the Planning Commission to review current floodplain and mining ordinances. The motion carried.
- Sue spoke with attorney Einert Hanson and his schedule did not allow him to take our request in a timely fashion; attorney Adam Lodemeier reviewed the summons and will verify that the township rights will be memorialized; Sue signed the stipulation and Adam will sign and forward to Falk?s attorney.
March 12, 2013 Election and Annual Meeting
- Absentee ballots are available
- Sue received positive feedback on the Annual Meeting mailing; residents saw a need to increase the Road and Bridges budget to plan for future road maintenance
- Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to pay bills and payroll on March 4, 2013 in the amount of $3,425.10 as presented. The motion carried.
- Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to accept March 4, 2013 Treasurer?s Report. The motion carried.
Clerk/Treasuer (C/T) Position
- Barbara will resign the C/T position after the March 12, 2013 Annual Meeting and Kyle Mehrkens has agreed to complete the remainder of her term (until March 2014)
- Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to appoint Kyle Mehrkens to fill the remainer of Barb?s C/T term. The motion carried.
- Barbara will continue to fill the C/T position until the end of the election so she can swear in the winner.
- Nancy Barth will continue to serve as Deputy C/T.
- Tom Wolner asked if an owner is limited on the remodeling costs for a floodplan property; FEMA rules state that it cannot be greater than 50% of the existing value or the owner cannot get flood insurance; the Board deferred the discussion to Fred Plaas, Wacouta Zoning Commissioner
- Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to begin the 2013 quote for services (e.g., cemetery mowing, ice/snow removal, summer roadwork and trail maintenance) process and opened them at the April 8, 2013Town Board meeting; the quote notice will be printed in the Republican Eagle legal section on March 16 and 23
- Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to place the Goodhue County Public Works sand-and-salt order the same as 2012 at 160 cubic yards. The motion carried. This is an estimate and we are not charged for any amount we don?t require.
Motion was made by Sue and seconded by Mickey to adjourn the March 4, 2013 meeting at 7:58 PM. The motion carried.
Barbara Charlson, Wacouta Township Clerk/Treasurer
April 8 Mon Town Board Meeting at 7:00 PM
April 24 Wed Board of Equalization at 5:00 PM
May 13 Mon Town Board Meeting at 7:00 PM
*Meetings at the Wacouta Town Hall unless otherwise noted
Noteworthy Web Sites
- Wacouta Township: http://www.wacoutatownship.org
- Jerry Barth Water Level Site: (Suggestion to select <at Lake City> & <Stage/Forecast Graph> ) http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/glance.php?wfo=mpx&gage=stpm5&riverid=203833&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6
- Goodhue County: http://www.co.goodhue.mn.us
- Minnesota Association of Townships: http://www.mntownships.org